You can not really tell that Beagles are totally safe in your home. You may not know that your home you considered your haven may pose hazard to your dog's health. People use items such as acids, bleach, lead and moth balls in regular basis. Though we find these items ideal cleaning implements, these should not be exposed to animals to prevent the possibility of poisoning. Acids such as hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid and phosphoric acid are harmful to dogs. They may cause ulcer in the mouth, larynx and esophagus, drooling, lack of appetite, vomiting, panting and shock.
These acids are contained in household items such as cleansers, toilet bowl cleansers and pool chemicals. Once ingested, give your dog water or milk. If exposed in the eye, flush eyes with water or sterile saline for 30 minutes. Flush affected area with running water for 30 minutes if exposed to the skin. Have your vet examined your dog immediately. Toilet bowl cleaners, drain cleaners and dishwasher detergents contain alkalis.
Alkalis can also be found in ammonia and alkali batteries. These items damage the tissues by burning it deeper and more severe compared to the damage caused by acids. Immediate action is similar to that of exposure to acids. Bleach and clorox are common in almost every household. These items contain various poisonous chemicals such as sodium hypochlorite, sodium peroxide and hypochlorite salts. These items can irritate the dog's mucous membranes and esophagus.
When ingested, a dog may suffer from drooling, vomiting, abdominal pain and sore throat. If inhaled, symptoms are coughing, difficulty in breathing or retching. If the skin is exposed, the hair coat should be washed and rinsed thoroughly. Moth balls are also harmful. During our childhood days, my cousin ate one of the moth balls we found in the closet. She thought it was a candy.
If this happens to children, this can happen to dogs too. Once ingested, vomiting and seizures can be seen. You can also smell the odor of moth balls from your dog's breath, mouth and vomitus. These items should not be left scattering somewhere within your dog's reach. Animals are not very good in eliminating toxins in their bodies.
Exposures to these items may cause various health hazard. Keep your home harm-free for your Beagles.
Richard Cussons is a writer with tons of knowledge about dogs. Discover valuable information about Beagle training at this site for Beagles.